With less than two weeks until Christmas, just a quick reminder of the hazards the holidays can pose to our pets. The change in décor, schedules, and holiday guests can all cause stress because our pets are creatures of habits (I mean seriously, who thought it was a good idea to bring a tree in the house?). Lights, tinsels, and ornaments are all things to be investigated, chewed on, and possibly ingested. The house often gets decorated with amaryllis, lilies, yew, holly, mistletoe, and poinsettia which are all toxic plants. Then the food. Chocolate, garlic, onions, alcohol, unbaked bread, and xylitol can all be present in holiday baking and gifts. It is enough to drive any pet owner crazy. So, try and be aware and as safe as possible; and as always, if your pet does get into something, call us right away. It is much easier to deal with something that has been recently ingested, than deal with the aftermath.
From the staff of Willow Creek, we wish you and your family health and happiness through this holiday season and the coming year. Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
Ann E. Bastian, V.M.D.