The Bastian clan recently expanded with the addition of Duncan, an 11-week-old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. In the past couple of weeks, I have come to realize some basic tenants of puppy ownership (kittens carry their own set of issues, but you usually don’t have to litter train them).
- No house is 100% pet proof. No matter how much you try, they will find something to chew or eat. Crate training is the way to go, as it prevents accidents and helps with housebreaking.
- Paper towels and carpet cleaner are essentials – no explanation needed.
- Razor sharp baby teeth will eventually fall out.
- Consistency is the key – puppies thrive when they know what is expected.
- Even when they protest vaccines, microchips, or removing the 1000th leaf from their mouth they don’t hold grudges.
- They have a 2 second attention span so be creative in the way you keep them busy.
- The witching hour doesn’t last all day.
- A tired puppy is a good puppy.
- And finally, you gain a family member that will grow to love you and become a treasured part of your life.
On behalf of the doctors and staff of Willow Creek Veterinary Center, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
Ann E. Bastian, V.M.D.