- Ticks are part of the Arachnoid species, so they are more closely related to spiders and scorpions.
- There are over 800 species of ticks.
- Ticks crawl up their hosts, and are attracted to their hosts by heat, odor, and CO2.
- The majority of ticks use 3 different hosts for their 3 different life stages.
- Ticks need to be attached for at least 24 hours to transmit disease.
- Ticks have anti-inflammatory and anesthetic agents in their saliva to make it less likely that their hosts will notice that they have been bitten.
- Temperatures have to be less than 10F for a long period of time for ticks to die.
- Male ticks die right after mating.
We have multiple options for controlling ticks. Please talk to one of our staff members about what may be appropriate for your pet. And, it is quite likely, you may find one of these on your human self! We also have “tick twisters”, which can be used on humans and pets, alike.